- Go to acciona.com
ACCIONA's fifth wind farm in Australia
CLEAN, NON-POLLUTING ENERGY
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
1 in 8 people still do not have access to electricity. In order to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all, it is necessary to increase the use of renewable energy from 25 % today to 38 % in 2025.
ACCIONA is positioning itself as a key player in addressing the growth in energy demand while curbing the progress of global warming and promoting the transition to a decarbonized energy model.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
The generation and use of energy is responsible for 74 % of total greenhouse gas emissions in the world. This activity is the largest contributor to global warming. Investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies will continue to be essential to meet the new needs of humanity and to minimise their negative impact on the environment.
ACCIONA considers the fight against climate change and its related effects to be a strategic priority. The Company is working to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions in order to contribute to the progress of society and respond to the main challenges of sustainable development in the areas of infrastructure, water and energy, leading the transition to a low-carbon economy.
The wind farm is being constructed on cleared open and level land that is predominantly used for dairy farming.
The location is highly exposed to consistent winds, making the site ideal for wind powered electricity generation. Livestock grazing will continue around the wind turbines once construction is complete.
In 2018, the Mortlake South Wind Farm was successful in the Victorian Renewable Energy Target (VRET) reverse auction. VRET is the Victorian Government’s legislated target aiming for 25% of electricity generation from renewable sources by 2020 and 40% by 2025.
- Project Configuration: 35 x Nordex 4.5MW turbines
- Capacity: up to 157.5 MW
- Final planning approval: April 2017
- Completion date: Mid 2021
- Energy production: equivalent up to 117,000 households
- Grid connection: 15km underground connection line to 220kV Terang substation
- Tip Height: Ranges from 186m
- Project value: $280M AUD
- Project location: 5km from Mortlake in Moyne Shire
- ACCIONA's fifth wind farm in Australia and third in Victoria
- Prevents aproximatly the emission of some 532,000 tonnes of CO2 from coal-fired power stations per year
- About 100 jobs created during construction and 10 ongoing jobs in operation
- Equipped with a battery storage facility of between 4 and 5 MW of power, to increase their performance and facilitate their integration into the grid
megawatts (MW) capacity
wind turbines of 4.5 MW rated capacity each
tons of CO2 avoided per year
technology and innovation
This wind farm incorporates an energy storage facility in order to increase its performance and facilitate its integration into the power grid. From Innovation, solutions are developed to increase flexibility and reduce the intermittency of renewable generation assets, improve the quality of the energy generated, favour its integration into the grid and enable greater access to renewable energies in the electricity system
Turbine for life
Project that contributes to increasing the useful life of wind turbines, to getting to know the state of the fleet and to detecting anomalous behaviour in order to optimise the management and the operation and maintenance costs of the assets.
For the analysis of the remaining life of the structural components we work on developing physical models. Two lines of work are being carried out to predict failures in ACCIONA's wind turbine fleet: the development of WindBrain® to detect abnormal behaviour, and the use of Machine Learning to identify failure patterns in wind components.
LATEST PROJECT NEWS
Relevant planning permit documentation
ACCIONA's construction and use of the 220 kV underground connection line
Mortlake South Wind Farm
The Mortlake South Wind Farm brings significant economic activity with a positive effect on the region.
- Generation of 80-100 construction jobs
- Up to 10 ongoing operations and maintenance jobs on site for the life of the project (~20+ years)
- Substantial additional economic focus in the Moyne Shire, complementary to ongoing dairying, grazing, cropping, tourism and service activities
- Substantial increase in the Moyne Shire’s rates base
- Diversified income for host landowners
- A targeted Shared Benefits Program to strategically deliver added value to the local region for the operational life of the project
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND SHARED BENEFITS PROGRAM
ACCIONA is committed to improving the social and economic platform of the region and sharing the benefits of the project as widely and equitably as possible.
The Mortlake South Wind Farm Shared Benefits Program comprises of several initiatives:
- Sponsorship program
- Scholarship program
- Community benefit fund
OUR COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT INITIATIVES
Mortlake South (157.5 MW): ACCIONA’s fifth wind farm in Australia
ACCIONA construirá este parque eólico en propiedad en Victoria como resultado de la adjudicación lograda el concurso renovable convocado por el Gobierno de ese estado
OFFSITE LANDSCAPING PROGRAM
Owners of residential dwellings within 4 kilometres of a Mortlake South Wind Farm wind turbine generator can apply for landscaping to help reduce the visual impact of the wind farm. This Program is a requirement of our Planning Permit.
If you own a dwelling within 4kms of the wind farm, please click here for the Expression of Interest Form. Eligible applicants will receive a visual screening assessment from a qualified landscape architect who can design a plan to suit your needs and preferences. ACCIONA will arrange this meeting and cover all costs involved for the plan, tree planting and maintenance for 3 years.
We are accepting EOI's for the Offsite Landscaping Program until 12 months after construction completion.